Is this the simplest real word CRUD example of RIA services + MVVM?

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:06 PM

It looks still too complex for me to understand.. Is there a video where you go step by step how you got the end product ?

I am trying to find a basic MVVM/RIA Services CRUD example that I can start with. But if you have a detailed walk through maybe I can begin to understand this.

Coordinator
Jun 8, 2010 at 9:34 PM

This is certainly not the hello world app (several of those little samples are distributed over blogs). I do agree the process of seeing it built step-by-step would help immensely. I don't have that walkthrough yet - its on my list, but the list is also long. :-)

A more basic RIA Services + MVVM sample is on my blog at http://www.nikhilk.net/NET-RIA-Services-ViewModel-Pattern.aspx and http://www.nikhilk.net/NET-RIA-Services-ViewModel-Pattern-2.aspx. Those might help a bit.

If there are any specific questions about the app itself in the meantime, I can certainly try answer. If they are general questions about ria services, then I'd recommend the ria services forums.

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:49 PM

I noticed you were using something called SilverlightFX.. So I am just looking for a plan MVVM example.. I found one here

http://www.dotnetspark.com/kb/2006-step-by-step-command-binding-silverlight.aspx

So I figure ill understand that the best I can ..then look at your code

I think ASP.NET MVC is easier to grasp though...

Hoping a book or article will come out some day that will show how you can start with Blend and then goto vs2010 and use MVVM... or maybe you are suppose to start with the model first... but either way Id like to see how these two programs work together in MVVM

Coordinator
Jun 9, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Yeah, there are lots of blog posts that are about roll your own MVVM framework. At some point you have to decide if you want to do that, or just use a framework. I suppose this is inevitable until something gets baked in into the framework.

Part of the reason MVC might seem easier to grasp (I think), is that it is in fact baked in, everyone doesn't roll their own version (well, at least to a lesser degree) because of that, and since it is baked in the tools can guide better.

Whether you start with the UI first or model first is usually a personal choice, or depending on the makeup of the team, a team choice. I usually go from both ends - I have a db first, and then I also think about the UI, and based on what I need in the UI define the view model, and the operations on my services.

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Punkouter,

While this sample uses MVVM, Ria Services and MVVM are two completely different things.  MVVM is easier to learn on it's own.  The best intro I have found to MVVM is MVVMLite.  There are videos that step you through the entire process.

Once you understand the two, you will see how the two fit together.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Yes. I know.

I am going to start a SL4 project soon so I am trying to find a example that uses both MVVM and Riaservices patterns. OR maybe even just MVVM is fine.. I have started using MVC with asp.net and I really like the seperation so I want that with SL4..

So I am not the greatest programmer so I am still searching for a simple example I can build on ..

I check out this MVVMLite you mention thanks.